Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights seeks a staff attorney to lead the Equitable Development Initiative that is part of our Community Law Project. This initiative provides legal, policy, and strategic support to community-based organizations and coalitions organizing and advocating for equitable development. This position is an ideal opportunity for an attorney with a passion for racial equity and civil rights, and the drive and skills to take our equitable development work to the next level of growth and impact. Read the full position description here.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with advancing a racial equity mission
- J.D. degree required. Applicants must be admitted to the Illinois Bar, be eligible for admission through reciprocity or take the Illinois Bar within six months
- At least three years of legal experience; transactional legal experience preferred, particularly in the areas of real estate, land use, other housing-related experience, or local government law and policy
- Policy advocacy experience; Chicago-related experience preferred
- Experience working with community organizers or coalitions, including communities of color
- Proven client counseling skills
- Spanish language proficiency preferred but not required
- Excellent written and oral communication, including experience with public speaking
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to use considerable judgment, initiative, and independence, and maintain confidentiality
Applications will be accepted through March 23, 2018. If interested, please email a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to: Elesha Jackson, Director of Administration, at email@example.com. Please - no telephone inquiries. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, we may not be able to respond to individual applications.
We are seeking a creative and strategic development professional to lead our fundraising efforts. This is an ideal leadership opportunity for a person who has a passion for civil rights and racial equity, and the drive and skills to help take the organization to the next level of growth and impact. He or she should have direct experience in soliciting funds from law firms, corporations, and foundations, and significant experience with building major donor campaigns. Our Development Director will lead a development and communications team committed to steadily growing the enterprise by working collaboratively to increase and diversify funding, and to strengthen our brand inside and outside of Chicago. The position will be located in our downtown Chicago office. Read the full position description here.
- Seven or more years of fundraising experience, including annual events and personal cultivation, solicitation, and closing of individual major gifts.
- A commitment to and ability to articulate our organization's mission and impact.
- Experience in serving on leadership teams in progressive nonprofit organizations.
- Experience with marketing and brand building.
- Experience and success in the cultivation and stewardship of volunteer and donor networks through a variety of creative outreach strategies, including events and communications.
- Experience in implementing and managing databases and other systems needed to support an aggressive fundraising program.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Experience with developing and implementing strategies for list expansion.
- Team player with excellent organizational, networking, and relationship-building skills.
- Self-starter who is able to multi-task.
- Preference given to applicants with knowledge of the Chicago legal, corporate, and philanthropic communities.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Elesha Jackson, Director of Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please - no telephone inquiries. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Internships and Fellowships
Sorry, we cannot take internship applications at this time. Check back again for updates!